Sunday, April 27, 2008

Detroit: The Beauty Shines Through in a City in Crisis


















Detroit: The Beauty Shines Through in a City in Crisis

The spring unlike winter time makes me more generous of spirit and more inclined to seek the high road in matters. Such was the case recently when I traveled to Detroit the weekend of April 26 for my mother’s 85th birthday. Walking along the waterfront with my older daughter Libra, I took the preceeding pictures. Spring is evident in the blooming dogwoods, daffodils and tulips everywhere. The shimmering and rolling waves of the sky blue Detroit River played host to the fishermen and boaters seduced by a combination of the weather and beckoning water. Momentarily, I forgot about the serious fiscal and moral challenges that plague the City of Detroit. Instead, I luxuriated in the beauty and history of Detroit where I spent the first twenty-three years of my life. Like feuding lovers, I am ready to bury the hatchet, claim this friendship and remember the good times we shared together over the years. The pictures taken along the waterfront and Jefferson Avenue capture a fragment of what makes Detroit so beautiful. Yet, I cannot help adding that for every such scene there are dozens that portray the devastation of Detroit and its people. I only hope and pray that the tide of progress can turn around things for the citizens of Detroit who deserve so much better.

Blessings! Rev. Dr. Qiyamah

No comments: