Saturday, September 5, 2009

Healing the Spirit

This entire blog is devoted to me creating an intervention for myself to begin my healing from burnout. Listen and learn!

I refused to give in to the lie we tell ourselves, "I can't get away right now. Things are too busy." I usually fall victim to that mistaken belief. I knew I was in trouble and that I needed to get away to figure it out and to put some distance between me and my bad habits. Fortunately, a trip had been planned that I was still not committed to. That made it easy and there was a big incentive to step away from things to regain my perspective. My oldest daughter, Libra, had planned a weekend get-a-way to Myrtle Beach, SC. I left early Friday morning, spent the day with my oldest sister, Betty and left that evening with Libra's partner, Walter. Just changing my environment helped shift my behavior. I did not check my email until Monday evening. Four days away from email was atypical for me. lol

I noticed that as soon as I returned I began to experience anxiety attacks, something I have no history of. I worked hard to take care of myself, delegated when I could and slowly began to feel myself coming back.

I am a living breathing example that just a few days can relieve the early stages of burnout if one is watchful and understands the seriousness of it.

Here are some pictures of me and my family having fun!

Question: What has to happen for you to slow down? When was the last time you gave yourself permission to step away from a demanding life that can chew you up and spit you out if you are not careful? How can you create more opportunities to take care of yourself? What would that look like? How can you set boundaries so that your life is not too stressful and demanding?

Blessings! Rev. Qiyamah




Kaleema, my youngest daughter huggin' her boogie board!


L-R Libra, my older daughter and Walter, her partner, coolin' out at the beach at Mrytle Beach.


Here I am - sittin' and healin' at the beach!


Brandon James Beale, my grandson, enjoyin' the beach!!!


L-R Kaleema Haidera Al-Nur, my youngest daughter and Brandon enjoyin the "surf."


Me, still coolin'out!I cheated a little. I was reading Michael Eric Dyson's response to Bill Cosby's attack on poor blacks. Dyson feels Cosby fails to analyze the plight of poor blacks and that he perpetuates the judgmental attitude of some middle class blacks who feel ashamed of poor blacks. But that is another discussion. This is about leisure time activities!


L-R Walter, Libra, Kaleema and Brandon. What a gorgeous picture!



L-R Libra, Brandon and Walter at the apartment that we stayed at during our weekend retreat in Mrytle Beach.

No comments: